Thursday, September 28, 2017

Carrying multiple cards in the wallet when taking MRT

Have you ever wanted to tap your wallet (containing multiple credit cards, ez-link cards, cash card etc) onto the MRT gantry, only to find that the gantry will throw you an error regarding multiple cards? But how did that dude in-front of you manage to pass the gantry just by tapping his wallet and not taking out the MRT fare card? Surely he has multiple cards in his wallet as well?

After doing some investigation, it turns out that no matter what card you are carrying, the important point is to identify whether the cards that you are carrying in your wallet has the ez-link logo (on the left in the picture below) or the MRT logo (on the right in the picture below)

It does not matter if the credit card supports paywave or not, and it does not matter if it is a debit card, credit card or cash card. As long as either of the 2 logos are there on the card, it will be picked up by the gantry. It is therefore advisable not to have more than one of these cards in the wallet at the same time.

For my case I am using my DBS Debit/ATM card as my MRT fare-card, so there is no need to buy a dedicated ez-link fare card. I have another credit card that has the MRT logo which I do not carry. Instead I added the credit card onto Apple Pay and so the physical card is now redundant.

No comments: